Thursday, May 17, 2012

MY FIRST QUILT!


I have been wanting to make a quilt for some time, but it seemed really intimidating. Thanks to the quilt-along from Don't Call Me Betsy—and advice and tutorials from my good friend Katie and Aunt Ardie—I managed to make a whole quilt from start to finish. This fabric is the Joel Dewberry Heirloom collection in citrine. I bought it awhile ago without a specific purpose in mind because it was so divine. But a few months ago I realized that it was the perfect jumping-off point for a basement redo. I still have a few finishing touches on that so I'm going to wait until I am completely finished. But I was so proud of my quilt that I couldn't wait to post it!

The sashing is Kona cotton solid in Ice Frappe and the binding (on the bias) is Kona orange. I liked the look of a serpentine stitch, but since my machine doesn't have it, I made do by making wavy lines with the walking foot. My quilt isn't perfect, but I learned a lot for next time, and I think that most people won't be able to tell. The tutorial suggested putting some of the extra blocks on the back, but I saved them to make a smaller quilt for my son's chair and for a doll quilt. 





19 comments:

Katie B. said...

It looks AMAZING! Love the orange binding, and the quilting looks so good!

Rafael's Mum said...

Can't believe that is your first quilt! It's great!

CitricSugar said...

Beautiful work!

Anne said...

What a great first quilt. I never got around to buying those Heirloom prints and you used the color family I liked the best. Hope you keep quilting. It's a wonderful thing.

cat in tassie said...

What a beautiful first quilt! You did a fantastic job. It sure beats my first quilt.

Margaret said...

i love your orange fabrics

margaret
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Sarcastic Quilter said...

It's stunning! Great start to all the quilts you are going to be producing from now on, I'm sure! :)

straythreads said...

beautiful first quilt!!!!!!!
Ann

Janet said...

LOVE the colours! You've made a fantastic first quilt.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

It looks wonderful, Leah! Congratulations on your first quilt :)

Marjorie said...

Bravo! I'm sure there will be many more to follow.

Annabella said...

Fabulous first quilt - really stunning! I love the citrus colours, the design - well everything!

grendelskin said...

What a great first finish! You're off to a terrific start. Lvoe the binding and your quilting is just lvoely!

The Thompsons said...

Congrats on making your first quilt - it's beautiful! What fun colors!

Habibti at Home said...

What a cheerful quilt! It seems you are a natural at quilting!!! Don't stop here, it is a lifelong addiction. :)

Jessica said...

LOVE everything about this! And the backing too! It's beautiful. AND the quilting... I could go on and on :)

Eileen said...

oooooooooh, so pretty! i just pinned it on my quilt inspiration board! thanks for sharing your beautiful quilt. can't believe it's your first! have a great day

Sew Lovins said...

Way cool! Love seein your first quilt. It'll always be special:)

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

I love your first quilt! The colors are so cheerful, orange is one of my favorites! :)