Friday, November 30, 2007

J.K. Rowling's Tales of Beedle the Bard

You may have heard that J.K. Rowling has handwritten and illustrated a book called Tales of Beedle the Bard, a book that she mentions in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. She has only made 7 copies. She is giving 6 of them to people who were instrumental in helping her with the Harry Potter books, and the last one she is auctioning for charity at Sotheby's. The book came to New York City to be viewed by the public for three days. We went on Tuesday. As we were walking up, a woman wearing a cloak and a tartan McGonagall-like hat came walking up to meet her friend wearing a Griffindor scarf. Now I am a huge Harry Potter fan, but the cloak and hat were a bit much.

The book is beautiful. I wish that she would have sold a cheaper version to the public. The book is handbound in Italian leather, and there are handmade silver pieces on the front set with moonstones.

And then we rode the bus home and I got motion sick and couldn't go to work that evening. I shouldn't have had all of that fresh-squeezed orange juice at Norma's.

3 comments:

Katie B said...

Oooh, could you touch it? At least look inside?

Stephanie said...

Yeah, I'd love to see the inside.

Leah said...

Yeah, no. It was behind glass. I told Heinz that if I was as rich as Oprah I'd buy it.